Apple Cobbler the perfect fall dessert and a nice alternative to apple pie. This is a recipe from Katherine, she has to keep gluten out of her diet- so in addition to being a tasty apple-filled dessert, the added bonus is this is also a gluten free recipe.
- 6 green apples, peeled and sliced
- 1 pear, peeled and sliced (this is a secret ingredient)
- Juice from 1 orange
- Juice from 1 lemon (save the skin for zest)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn starch
- Cold butter -to grease the pan
For the topping:
- ¼ cup lemon zest (you will need two lemons)
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ¼ cup quick cook oats
- 1 tablespoon corn starch
- 1 cup gluten free flour
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- Note… you can also add a dash of nutmeg, dash of cinnamon and toasted almonds to change up the topping.
Preheat oven to 180C
Put the pear and the apples in a big bowl. Squeeze in the juice of one orange, & 1 lemon. Mix in sugar , corn starch and add a pinch of salt. Grease an 11 x 7 inch backing dish with cold butter. Pour apple mixture in baking dish and smooth out so the thickness is about an inch and a 1/2.
Prepare the topping:
In the big bowl you used to mix the apple mixture mix the following: lemon zest, butter, flour, brown sugar, oats, corn starch and stir together until it looks like a lumpy paste.
Spoon topping over the apples. Bake at 180C for 30 to 45 minutes until apples bubble and the topping is golden brown. Apples should be fork tender.
Serve with vanilla ice cream or sweet whipped cream.